Saturday, March 12, 2016

Fancy Folds Design Team Blog Hop - Gate Fold Card


Wow! So delighted to be invited to be part of this very talented group of global Stampin' Up! demonstrators. . . chances are you have just visited Frenchie's blog - isn't she amazing?

This month we are creating different Gate Fold cards and here is my creation:
You will have followed the very simple instructions for how to make a Gate Fold card. I think that this style of card is so versatile and fun because you can build pockets inside for gift cards and cash and you can add a little more panache to the decoration on the outside.
I love square cards - they feel so much more substantial and extravagant than smaller cards but be conscious that you can adjust this design to any size preference. My base card is Whisper White Thick Cardstock (12" x  6"). I have scored and folded it to the Gate Fold template. It is mounted on a square of Watermelon Wonder Cardstock to "frame the whole creation and tie in the colours of the stamped project.

I have lined both the inside of the card and mounted the designer series paper on the front with Old Olive Cardstock. The inside is then mounted with another piece of Whisper White Cardstock. On the outside I mounted a square of floating leaves design paper from the English Garden DSP (primary colours Mossy Meadow and Old Olive). I couldn't resist layering a piece of the Watermelon Wonder 1" Stitched Ribbon over one edge of the DSP - I was wanting some extra texture and interest and a splash of solid colour to balance the images.
Using the Oval Framelits I cut a piece of Whisper White using the largest plain oval. I then traced the outside edge of that framelit on Old Olive Cardstock and cut out a mounting piece just marginally bigger that the white. I stamped the filigree stamp from First Sight stamp set in stamped off Old Olive ink. I heat embossed the flowers from Birthday Blooms in black on a separate piece of Whisper White Cardstock (two of the large flower and three of the smaller poppy image).
I water-coloured the heat embossed images using Watermelon Wonder, Blushing Bride, Mossy Meadow and Old Olive inks and an aqua painter. I then fussy cut the images out and played with the arrangements until I was happy with the balance. Don't be afraid to cut into stamped images like these to change the configuration depending upon your project. Imagine these blossoms cascading down the side of a scrapping page!

The fussy cut flowers are mounted on dimensionals whilst the pink poppies are adhered flat on the background. The stringed pearls are from the Love Blossoms Embellishment Kit. I adhered them with glue dots that I rolled into narrow sticky spots to hide under the pearls.
I hope you can see the differences in the layering. The oval is mounted using dimensionals on the left hand opening of the card and there is a fair bit of weight in that side of the card which holds it firmly together. The sentiment "dear friend" from the Birthday Blooms set is stamped in Mossy Meadow on Whisper White and punched out using the Large Oval Punch. It is adhered directly onto the DSP background.
The finished project! I hope you have gotten some ideas for your next Gate Fold card.

Check out the the rest of our blog hop here:

Here is the full roll call of blog hoppers this month:


Until next time
Shanni xx

11 comments:

  1. Oh my go.. this is stunning. What a work with each detail.
    Hugs from your german friend
    Tanja

    ReplyDelete
  2. Oh what a great card! The oval with the swirl and the flowers is just gorgeous.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Gorgeous card Shannean :-) your colouring and fussy cutting is spot on, and adding the pearls finished it off perfectly.

    ReplyDelete
  4. It looks like this took a lot of work but it is absolutely gorgeous! Thank you for sharing your detailed instructions.

    ReplyDelete
  5. OH MY GOSH Shannean.. this is one of the most beautiful cards I've ever seen in my life!!!! WOW WOW WOW !!!

    ReplyDelete
  6. Lots of work on your card Shanni, thank you for taking the time to explain every step! I can't get enough of this flower, and your colouring is great. I like the bold ribbon, contrasting with the delicate pearls. So many details everywhere to discover !

    ReplyDelete
  7. wow, you love to fussy cut Shanni, LOL., and this card turned out absolutely fabulously.

    ReplyDelete
  8. Just Beautiful! So soft and springy! love your colouring!

    ReplyDelete
  9. This is so, so beautiful Shanni <3, love it xxx

    ReplyDelete

Thanks for taking the time to leave a comment. I am always excited to hear from visitors and take inspiration and joy from the messsages left.
Cheers
Shanni